Terramycin Ointment, 3.5 gram x 3 tubes
Terramycin Skin Ointment Uses
Terramycin Skin Ointment (Polymyxin B Sulfate/Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride) is applied topically to treat or protect against bacterial infections. Its mechanism of action is eliminating bacteria. This cream is made from a combination of antibiotic ingredients. Polymyxin B sulfate is made up of various polymyxins. It exhibits bactericidal activity against gram negative bacteria, but has hardly any effect on gram positive microorganisms. By changing the permeability of the bacterial outer membrane, it helps trigger the eventual destruction of susceptible microorganisms.
Oxytetracycline is also contained in this cream. It is classified as a tetracycline antibiotic and is known to be active against a wide range of bacteria. The production of bacterial proteins essential to the microorganisms is interfered with by this ingredient. This prevents the bacteria from growing and multiplying, thereby helping to bring the infection under control and allow the immune system to deal with it. Patients affected by wounds which have become infected, as well as other types of skin infections are often treated with this cream. It is also widely used in wounds to stop them becoming infected.
Dosage and Administration
Terramycin Skin Ointment (Polymyxin B Sulfate/Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride) is used directly on the area of skin that needs treatment. Full instructions on how to apply it and the frequency of administration will be provided by your physician. In most cases, physicians will advise adult patients to use it 2 to 3 times each day. The length of time for which treatment will be required to continue may vary, depending on how serious the symptoms are. Always fully comply with the directions provided by your physician.
Patients using Terramycin Skin Ointment (Polymyxin B Sulfate/Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride) should be aware of the fact that some side effects may occur, such as mild skin irritation. Other reactions not referenced here are also possible. Report all reactions to your physician and get medical help immediately if any serious adverse events occur.
Terramycin Skin Ointment (Polymyxin B Sulfate/Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride) is not used to treat eye infections and therefore should never be applied to the eyes.
This ointment is only suitable for external use as directed by your physician. It must not be used on any areas of the body that are sensitive to it. Ask your physician for more details.
Warnings and Precautions
- If you have an allergic or hypersensitive reaction, seek emergency medical attention.
- Possible symptoms include difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, swelling, chest tightness, skin rashes, and hives.
- This medication should only be used as instructed and prescribed by your physician or pharmacist. Do not alter your dosage unless specifically instructed to do so by either of the above.
- Dosage and usage often depends on the severity of the condition, as well as the patient’s medical history and current health condition.
- Before you begin using this medication, ensure your
- physician is aware of the following:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have any allergies.
- If you have any other illnesses, disorders, or medical conditions.
- If you are using any other drugs or medication.
- If you are using any vitamins or supplements.