Tetracaine HCL 0.5%, 15 ml x 3 bottles
Generic Name: Tetracaine Hydrochloride
Tetracaine HCL, Ophthalmic Solution Uses
Tetracaine, Tetracaine Hydrochloride (Opticaine) drops is used for:
Numbing the eye during certain procedures.
Opticaine Drops is an anesthetic. It works by blocking nerve impulses, which results in loss of feeling.
Do NOT use Opticaine Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Opticaine Drops
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Opticaine Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Opticaine Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some medicines may interact with Opticaine Drops, Tetracaine Hydrochloride . Because little, if any, of Opticaine Drops is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Opticaine Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Opticaine Drops:
Use Opticaine Drops, Tetracaine Hydrochloride as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Opticaine Drops is administered at your doctor’s office, hospital, or clinic. Ask your doctor or pharmacist any questions that you may have about Opticaine Drops.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not touch or rub the eye until the effect of the medicine has worn off. Your doctor may instruct you to wear an eye patch to prevent you or anything else from touching your eye.
- If you miss a dose of Opticaine Drops, check with your doctor.
- Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Opticaine Drops.
Important safety information:
- Opticaine Drops, Tetracaine Hydrochloride may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Opticaine Drops by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING:
If you become pregnant while taking Opticaine Drops, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Opticaine Drops during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Opticaine Drops, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Opticaine Drops may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as tolerance. Talk with your doctor if Opticaine Drops stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
Possible side effects of Opticaine Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects.
Check with your doctor if any of these most common side effects persist or become bothersome: Temporary burning, stinging, or redness.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these severe side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch
Other Brand Names: Tetracaine Hydrochloride, Ak-Taine, Ak-T-Caine, Alcaine, Ocu-Caine, Ophthaine, Ophthetic, Opticaine, Pontocaine, Spectro-Caine, Alcaine, Diocaine, Minims Tetracaine, Ophthetic, Pontocaine,Amethocaine Proxymetacaine